The history of Central Christian Church, Weatherford, Texas.
1856 - The Christian Church was assembled for the first time with 19 members. It met in the B. K. Emerson House on Sanchez Creek. H. H. Taylor preached the first sermon.
1857 - The church met at the Courthouse. Rev. J. J. Hamilton was ordained and took charge of the church.
1863 - The church moved locations to the school house on West Church Street.
1864 - The church changed locations to the residence of Thomas U. Toler.
1870 - Church services were moved to Mason School House on East Church Street.
1874 - Rev. Mansfield Mathews became pastor and the worship services moved to Milam's Hall.
1876 - Land was purchased at the corner of South Main and Church Street for $450. Money was raised to build what is now South Main Church of Christ.
1894 - On January 8th, the church reached an agreement to split over the issue of using an organ in the worship services. The party that is now referred to as the South Main Church of Christ gave the party leaving the church $1,357.40 for their part of the building.
1894 - On January 21st, a new congregation of 65 members was formed which is now referred to as Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Property was purchased on the corner of Houston and Oak and a stone building was erected and furnished at the cost of $4,200.00
1894 - On May 13 the building at West Oak and Houston Streets was dedicated with Bible School, Christian Endeavor and Ladies' Aid Society organized shortly thereafter.
1894 - On July 1, W. H. Bagby became the first minister.
1924 - Annex with classrooms and elevated baptistery was built onto sanctuary.
1950 - A basement was constructed adding classrooms, fellowship hall and kitchen at West Oak and Houston.
1953 - The Sanctuary was refurnished and redecorated, and air conditioning and memorial windows were installed.
1960 - Purchase of six and one-half acres in 1600 block of South Main.
1964 - On May 5th the congregation moved from the little brown church on the corner to 1602 South Main to begin use of the new sanctuary and north education building.
1964 - Church dedication on July 5.
1969 - Completion of second phase of building program - south building housing offices, parlor, fellowship hall and kitchen.
1990 - Addition of classrooms to north education building.
1991 - On June 2nd, a Texas Historical Marker was presented to the congregation.
1998 - On February 8, Cuppett Hall, an 8200 square foot multi-purpose facility is named after the former minister, Kenneth D. Cuppett and dedicated.
1998 - March, congregation approves the hiring of Pam Holt, increasing our church staff to two full time ministers.
Since our charter in 1894, 33 ministers have served this church, and 5 members have been ordained into Christian ministry.